Tuesday, January 20, 2009

American in Amsterdam

Of course everyone was watching the inauguration, but from Amsterdam it was a little different.

A few of us crowded into a dorm room with drinks in hand watching one of the most important days in history.  And I think we all agreed that for the first time in a long time, and especially since we've arrived here in Amsterdam, we felt truly proud to be American.  Don't get me wrong, the Dutch are much more tolerant and accepting of Americans than most other cultures.  Still, every once in awhile, it becomes apparent that people add a little extra layer of judgement on- good or bad.  Today, everyone was celebrating with us.  Even the public library held a party for the swearing in ceremony.  

Apart from that, I'm slowly getting more used to this place.  I hope everyone at Hartt had good IPO auditions.  I'm slowly but surely working up my own set of music.  Classes are kind of an afterthought which is very nice.

This week should  be boring but nice.  Hopefully my Paganini will actually start to sound like music.  To all the people at Hartt, have a nice first week, have fun with your new carpet, and appreciate the fact that you don't have to reserve a practice room before stepping foot into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment